Get screened today
The Oral Cancer Foundation estimates that nearly 50,000 new cases of oral cancer will be diagnosed in the US in 2016. In the last decade, there has been an increase in the rate of occurrence of oral cancer, especially an increased rate of oral cancer caused by HPV.
Your Bolivia or Oak Island dentist is in a unique position to detect and diagnose oral cancer before it progresses. Think about it – you only see your doctor when a problem arises, and chances are you aren’t regularly inspecting your mouth for signs and symptoms. Your dentist, however, should ideally see you twice every year. We are always on the lookout for any changes or abnormalities in your mouth.
Warning signs & symptoms
Some of the warning signs and symptoms of oral cancer include (can occur on the lips, mouth, tongue, gums, throat, or any area inside the mouth):
- Swelling, thickening, lumps, rough spots, crusting, or erosion
- Velvety white, red, or speckled patches
- Unexplained bleeding
- Numbness or loss of feeling
- Pain or tenderness
- Persistent sores
- Difficulty chewing, swallowing, speaking, or moving the jaw or tongue
- Hoarseness, chronic sore throat, change in voice
- Ear pain
Risk factors for developing oral cancer include:
- Smoking – Smokers are six times more likely to develop oral cancer than non-smokers
- Chewing – Patients who dip, snuff, or chew are 50 times more likely to develop oral cancer
- Alcohol – Oral cancer is six times more common in drinkers than non-drinkers
- Family history of cancer
- Excessive sun exposure
Oral ID Screening
We’ve invested in a high-tech oral cancer screening device to give you peace of mind, and ensure we catch any signs of the disease before it progresses. A special fluorescent light illuminates any tissue abnormalities inside the mouth to detect potential signs of the disease before they become visible to the naked eye. This gives us the best chance of treating the disease before it progresses, and your best chance at survival and recovery.
If you have any questions about oral cancer, or would like to come in for an oral cancer screening with your Bolivia dentist or Oak Island dentist – Dr. Michelakis, Dr. Wilharm, Dr. Harrington, Dr. Miller, Dr. Hohl, or Dr. Dobransky – please contact us at Coastal Cosmetic Family Dentistry® today at (910) 933-2408, or just ask us at your next appointment.